Tools available to support farm workers' health and safety
Posted on May 24, 2023 at 20:00 PM
UGA Extension, working with the Georgia Fruit & Vegetable Growers Association, Georgia Department of Public Health, the Center for Farmworker Health, Centers for Disease Control, and others, have put together a collection of resources in support of the health and safety of farm workers, particularly in response to the post-COVID-19 work environment.
Farmers are encouraged to review these tools and consider how to make use of them with their employees. Questions or suggestions for additional resources targeting migrant farm workers related to their overall health and well-being may be directed to Maria Bowie at email@example.com.
These short videos are available on YouTube:
1. Migrant Farm Worker Health & Hygiene Video: Help support farmworkers by sharing this short video which offers a few quick steps to improve both mental and physical health.
• Spanish (4 minutes, 14 seconds) - https://youtu.be/nwtvYJlI9sg
• English (3 minutes, 55 seconds) - https://youtu.be/_tFMcPtroiY
• 2-sided 8.5 x 11 flyer w/ QR codes promoting the above videos can be accessed here.
2. Videos of Southwest Georgia farmworkers, growers, Extension specialists, & medical providers discussing the safety and importance of vaccines are available as follows:
• 15 short videos produced by UGA Extension in English & Spanish. (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4yU9BNFlwm4NjrROps4Suo2KHCqZGt--)
There are also some excellent employer resources available online from the Georgia Fruit & Vegetable Growers Association and the National Center for Farmworker Health linked below.
• Georgia Fruit & Vegetable Grower Association Employer Resources addressing COVID-19.
• Center for Farmworker Health infectious diseases information.